Thursday, September 4, 2008

An Eventful Evening For Me...

While I was outside yesterday playing ball with Luke I got stung by a yellowjacket. I was wearing flip-flops and must have kicked it up on my flip-flop because it stung me between my fourth toe and my pinky-toe. Youch! Anyway, when it stung me, I stepped on it and crushed it. First of all I've never had a bee sting hurt this badly. I'm talking major pain. With in minutes my entire leg was throbbing from my toes all the way up to my gluteous maximus. My foot was swollen with in minutes. I came in and took some benadryl. After a few minutes my throat started closing and I could hardly swallow. In a few more minutes I started having lip swelling and trouble breathing. I thought, ohmygoodness, I'm having an allergic reaction to this bee sting, which in all of my 30 years I've never had a reaction like this one. I think since I crushed it, it injected me with more of its lovely poison than usual, so it caused a bad reaction. Sooooo, off to the doctor I go. I got an albuterol neb, a shot of Epi, a shot of steroids, and some Zantac. Before long I was much better. I hope I never have this experience again. Pretty scary!

2 comments:

Jenn said...

When it rains, it pours!

You seriously don't need anymore drama right now!

I'm glad you're better...can you guys not stay away from that ER?

Norman Patterson said...

Hello,

I know what getting stung feels like. I collect yellowjackets for a medical lab in Connecticut. My wife is allergic. The best plan is to get to an allergist and get desensitized. Epi pens often do fail and far to often 1 shot is not enough. A few things, keep an eye out for yellowjacket nests by identifying "traffic" that is lots of yellowjacket activity going in a steady stream. If you have any other questions, you can go to my site www.FreeYellowjacketRemoval.com

Peace,

Norman