Yes, we have our very first hospital admission..... Kaylyn had to be admitted tonight for IV antibiotics. She has an abscess on her shoulder that didn't respond well to antibiotics and the infection was spreading so here we are....
She's been a real trooper through this whole thing. If you've ever had an abscess, you know they are very painful. She had an incision and drainage last night and a shot of antibiotics, which should have done the trick. This morning when she woke up, she was still in a good bit of pain and it was still pretty red, so I called her doctor to have her packing changed and to get another shot of antibiotics. By this afternoon the redness was spreading down her back and chest so the decision was made to admit her.
If all goes well she'll be able to come home tomorrow evening or Thursday morning. She will have an ultrasound of her shoulder in the morning just to make sure this "bug bite gone bad," as she calls it, is not more involved than we think. If that is the case, or if it is still not responding to the IV antibiotics, then we may be looking at surgery to clean it out. I'll post updates as I get them, but in the mean while, say a little prayer that the antibiotics are all we need and we'll get to go home by Thursday morning.
(P.S. I'm trying to get some pictures uploaded, but this internet connection is not the best in the world and it doesn't appear I will be getting them on here.)